Wednesday 21 May 2008

My state in the game - World of Warcraft

As mentioned previously, one of the games I'm playing the most at the moment is World of Warcraft, also known as WoW. It's a game I've been playing for a very long time now, ever since Blizzard, the creators of WoW, started their cycle of open and closed betas in the different regions. That must be about 4 years now, almost.

When I play a game like this, I do tend to get quite competitive about it. Although I never took the so-called Bartle test, I expect I'm more of an Achiever than anything else. I do have a full-time job though, so I don't really have time to be in a guild that goes for "server-first" kills. But I do want to progress as far as possible. Luckily I've found a guild of like-minded people who are mostly in the same situation as I am, and we manage to beat the content at our own pace, currently reaching the end of Black Temple, while having already defeated all the bosses in Mount Hyjal, some of the hardest raid instances in the game.

Due to its composition of mostly people with full-time jobs and students who actually attend most classes, my guild has a more "casual" raiding schedule, where we're only raiding 3 days per week, for 4 hours each raiding night. Well I guess that's still a lot compared to how much time the average WoW player can spend on the game. Compared to the most progressed guilds in the world, that's still not much.

The problem for me is that after almost four years of World of Warcraft, I'm finding myself a little bored when we're not raiding. I have a lot of free time during weekends, when we're not raiding, and when I'm logging on nothing much is happening. I did the whole alt-thing, leveled up a few other characters, but there's only so much replayability left in the game for me and doing all those quests yet again isn't very appealing anymore.

I guess I could do some PvP, but the Player versus Player system in WoW is not really my cup of tea. I prefer the impact PvP that some other games have over the battlegrounds and arenas of WoW. Especially in the battlegrounds, the positive-sum PvP system brings out the worst in people. They just care about the fastest way to their epics, just follow their own instincts or just plain sit there, idle and collect points. I want to win, dammit! And I want to have the impression that our achievements actually made a difference in the game world. Not just collect my "honour" and tokens after a win, and have a full reset 1 minute after, when the next battleground starts.

Well, I'm not going to quit WoW any time soon, I'm too much of an achiever to stop now and leave Illidan sitting pretty on his throne in the Black Temple. That guy just has to die. And if possible, I'd like to advance as far as possible in Sunwell Plateau, currently the hardest raid instance in the game, as well. But on non-raiding nights, I'm starting to explore other games. And that's where Lord of the Rings Online and Age of Conan fit in.

1 comment:

super said...

it's nice to have some opposition to WoW that does do things diffeently and makes blizz buck up their ideas and (TBH) slow development. Enjoying Conan EA so far even though all I'm doing is playing classes up to level 15-20 to try them all out.

Anything that shows people that arena is not the way forward will be great too as it seems the motivation behind almost all of the blizz decisions these days.