Monday 7 July 2008

Weekend battleground PvP

On my WoW account, I have an old level 70 warrior who I haven't played in ages. He used to be protection specced, but ever since I discovered the wonders of paladin tanking, he has been pretty much demoted to mining and blacksmithing slave.

So over the weekend, I decided to dust him off and spec him for PvP. I got him a more PvP-friendly arms/fury spec, and crafted him a Stormherald from materials I had gathered on Saturday afternoon and from turning in some badges for Primal Nethers and Nether Vortexes.

And while PvPing on my warlock is an often frustrating experience of being shot into oblivion within seconds, mostly because of being PvE-specced, having a dedicated PvP character does bring its fun moments. And of course the obvious advantage is that you're collecting honour, which can be turned in for armour and other equipment right away. You can plan ahead and know exactly when you'll get your next upgrade, as opposed to most loot that comes from raiding, which still has some luck of the drop involved and of course also the competition from people in the raid. Collecting gear in PvP suffers from none of these drawbacks.

Of course collecting gear isn't everything. Doing the same 4 battlegrounds all the time gets really repetitive after a while, although you could argue that doing the same instance clears to get to a new boss each week is also repetitive and boring. Also, unless you manage to make a full premade group, you're kind of stuck with a collection of random people, so you miss the fun of playing with your friends and of course the cooperation isn't always as great as it should be. And finally, although battleground PvP can get quite exciting especially in close games, you don't really experience the real adrenaline rushes you get from a first boss kill. Or maybe I haven't played the right games yet.

I guess I'll have to play some arenas later on.

No comments: